Field-codes are calculated values, a little like formulas in Excel. They can be used to automatically number figure captions, cross-reference tables and insert document properties, for example. Unlike formula, Word's field-codes are usually not updated automatically. In Word 2007 (and later), content controls linked to field codes appear to automatically update.
To update field-codes manually:
- Choose Update all fields from the Template menu, if present
- Select the whole document ( Ctrl + A ) and press F9 .
- This won't update fields in headers or footers, though
- Choose Print Preview from Word's File menu.
- This will only work if Update fields is turned on in the Print page of the Tools → Options dialog.